As much as 55 million pounds of petroleum enters Puget Sound every year. Some of this pollution comes from industrial oil spills, but oil from improperly maintained cars also drips into our watershed, at alarming rates. This toxic runoff not only directly harms fish and other wildlife, but also does significant damage to their habitat. Fortunately, you can be a part of the solution by keeping your Subaru clean and well-maintained.
Prevent Oil Leaks with Regular Maintenance
Just one quart of motor oil can pollute up to 250,000 gallons of water. Over time, any car that is not regularly maintained will eventually leak oil or other fluids. To prevent oil leaks and keep your car in top running condition, the Washington State Department of Ecology recommends the following:
- Change your motor oil and help keep our waters clean.
- Fix oil leaks. Check for oil leaks regularly and fix them promptly. We always check for oil leaks every time your Subaru is in our shop. Keep your car tuned to reduce gasoline use.
- Use ground cloths or drip pans beneath your vehicle if you have leaks or are doing engine work. Clean up spills immediately. Collect all used oil in containers with tight fitting lids. Do not mix different engine fluids.
- Never dispose of oil or other engine fluids down the storm drain, on the ground or into a ditch, it always ends up in a lake or stream and then into Puget Sound, fowling the water, fish and animals habitat.
- Recycle used motor oil. Suburb Service recycles all of your drained motor oils, transmission fluids, brake fluids and differential fluids. We employ EPA approved waste oil furnaces to heat our shops the burn your used oil. We are the ONLY Subaru Service Center in the Pacific Northwest to do so. Just one more way we help improve the environment and keep the Northwest cleaner.
If this all sounds daunting, don't despair. You can make sure that your Subaru won't contribute toxic runoff to our watersheds by taking it to our qualified, experienced factory trained ASE certified staff, on a regular basis. Keep in mind: at Suburb Service, all we do is Subaru. You can rest assured that we have the experience to maintain your vehicle in tip top, leak-free condition.
Protect the Sound by Using a Commercial Car Wash
Toxic run off from cars isn't limited to oil leaks. Washing your car in the driveway may seem like a wholesome Saturday activity, but the grime that you wash off flows into our rivers and streams, and eventually into the Sound. You can prevent car wash run off by taking your car to a commercial car wash. If a commercial car wash isn't an option, the Department of Ecology recommends washing your car on the lawn, where water will seep into the ground rather than draining into the watershed. Hey here's a deal you can't refuse, get a scheduled maintenance service over $250.00, at Suburb Service and we will give you a FREE coupon for Brown Bear Car Wash. Just another way we work hard to keep our environment clean and pristine
For All Your Subaru Maintenance Needs, Call Suburb Today
To keep your Subaru free of leaks and ensure you are getting the best possible gas mileage, take your car to an experienced maintenance technician. In the Seattle and Marysville area, Suburb Service can help you extend the life of your Subaru, and protect our maritime environment at the same time. Whether your Subaru is leaking oil or is just ready for its next service, call Suburb today. Let's all work together to keep the Northwest beautiful and toxic free. All we do is Subaru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!